Monday, October 27, 2008

Political Misconduct

Because of my growing belief in misconduct at the polls, I had gone back and forth on whether or not to vote early. I thought, somehow, voting on Election Day would reduce the risk that my vote would be tampered with. But after hearing reports of lengthy lines even during early voting and surveying my friends, I decided voting before the November 4 deadline would be the only option. Matt and I were better than anxious to get to our polling site on Friday and were prepared to go the distance. We'd wait in line until our votes had been cast. Luckily, we were finished in 25 minutes flat. No sweat.

We took Patterson with us and though she obviously didn’t understand what was going on, I thought it would be a great introduction to the political process – something sentimental for her to look back on when she’s old enough to mark her own chad. She felt differently. As soon as we got in line, she turned into the hulk! She pulled on the stanchions, yanked the shirt of the man in front of us, screamed in our faces, threw her pacifier across the room and socked me in the eye (a couple of times). Saying that I was embarrassed would be an enormous understatement.

Here’s to hoping Patty’s was the only misconduct taking place at the polls!

No comments: