Friday, November 28, 2008

More cheese, please.

Generally, I find staged portraits to be undesirable. The results can sometimes be stiff and unnatural. I was encouraged by friends/family to have holiday photos taken of Patty, so I obliged. I scheduled an appointment for 6:30 PM on a weekday to try to avoid the crowds. Apparently, there's no such thing as avoiding crowds at a department store portrait studio between November 1 and December 24. Who knew?

I hate being late, so I raced home from work and quickly pulled Patterson's hair into pony tails and got her into her dress and tights (that was the fun part). We arrived early for her appointment by about 15 minutes. Unfortunately, the photographers were running behind. One family had been waiting for an hour! After about a 40 minute wait, it was our turn and we were off to a good start. Patty sat on the tiny couch and smiled. (I was beside her, so I didn't realize her first smile was a gremlin smile until Matt told me later. Needless to say, we didn't purchase that picture.) Three hours later, when all was said and done, we had some pretty good shots! Patty paid them back for the wait by spreading cheerios all over the waiting area. Hey, I picked up as much as I could, but what did they expect from a one year old waiting for three hours in a small space?

This is Patty after three hours of waiting, posing and smiling. I think we all felt the same way, including the photographer. No more cheese, PLEASE!

No comments: